A siding replacement project can be a bit overwhelming, especially to new homeowners. If you want your project to go smoothly, make sure you learn all that you can about it. These include brushing up on commonly used siding terms.
1. Batten: It’s the traditional term for the strip of wood that seals the joints in wood siding.
2. Backerboard: This refers to a flat material used on the home façade to provide an even surface for installing the siding material.
3. Channel: This refers to the accessory trim or corner post where the siding or soffit panels are inserted.
4. Course: The row of panels running the length of your home, top to bottom or from one side to the other, is called the course.
5. Drip cap: This refers to the accessory installed on vertical siding that directs water away from the panels, preventing it from infiltrating the siding. The drip cap is also called “head flashing”.
6. Face nailing: This refers to the action of installing panels by putting nails through the ‘“face” of the siding. Face nailing is usually frowned upon because it can damage the siding and make it more susceptible to water infiltration. Because the method also exposes the nails instead of hiding them, this also compromises the clean and seamless look that newly installed siding should have.
7. Lap: It is short for overlap, which is a necessary aspect of siding installation. When one siding panel overlaps another, it hides the nails that attach the siding to your home.
8. Scoring: This refers to the “light cutting” done on the siding panel, causing it to snap cleanly into two pieces when bent.
9. Shadow line: When a light source is cast onto the siding, its panels will create a sort of 3D, high-definition look to your home. This is called a shadow line.
10. Tongue and groove: This refers to a type of interlock that connects the edges of two siding panels together.
Request a Siding Quote
Connecticut homeowners know that when it comes to high-quality siding installation and gutter repair services, Northeast Gutters and Remodeling will definitely deliver. Expect only a smooth and worry-free experience when you choose us to manage your exterior home renovation needs. Call us today at (860) 899-7878, or fill out this contact form to schedule a siding consultation. We proudly serve Simsbury, CT, and other areas in Greater Hartford.