Your roofing system is made up of a complex layer of components working together to keep your home safe and damage-free from the elements. Some of these parts, such as the deck and underlayment, are invisible from the outside, but they’re no less important than the more noticeable shingles and fascia board. But then there’s the roof flashing, which lies somewhere in between. It’s right there – but you won’t notice unless you look closer.
Because of this, the roof flashing is often overlooked. If it has sustained damage, you’ll only know because there’s already water dripping from the ceiling. Damaged roof flashing will eventually fail, leaving your roof and home more susceptible to water damage – unless something is done promptly about it. Here’s what you need to know about roof flashing failure.
1. Roof flashing failure leads to extensive water damage. The flashing refers to a waterproofing material (the common options are sheet metal and galvanized steel) installed at the more leak-prone areas of your roof. These are usually the joints between your roof and its protrusions, such as the chimney, dormers, valleys, skylights and vent pipes. By directing runoff away from these vulnerable areas toward the gutters, the flashing helps lower the chance of roof leaks. At least, up until it fails. Where the roof flashing has failed, water infiltration will soon follow, allowing for home problems that go well beyond your roof.
Mold and rot are the most serious outcome of roof flashing failure. When your rafters are constantly exposed to water or moisture due to a leak, it goes without saying that mold and rot will develop. Over time, these will eat away at your roof structure, weakening its integrity. When the problem is overlooked, rot will spread to your ceiling and interior walls. But the fact is that structural deterioration is not the only thing you’ll need to worry about if it fails. Mold formation caused by roof leaks can also lead to a number of health risks. Water stains, dampness, discoloration in wood materials and a musty odor – these are just some of the indications your home now has a serious mold problem.
2. There are a few reasons roof flashing failure may occur. Your residential roofing system works to keep your home safe from inclement weather and temperature. However, it will take damage due to exposure to the same harsh elements it protects your home from. Alternate freezing and blistering temperatures, for example, may create dimensional changes in your roof structure. Eventually, the cycle will pull the flashing away from the surface, leaving the roof prone to leaks. This issue is particularly common around flashing in vertical dormers, parapet walls and other vertical surfaces in your roof.
Another common reason is poor flashing installation. The shadier types of roofers will cut corners, either using defective or low-quality materials, or putting minimum effort in the installation so they can move on to other jobs. You’ll know the flashing won’t be up to snuff because it is installed over the shingles instead of under them. Because of this, the seals get damaged fairly quickly, allowing for openings that make it easy for water to leak into and through the roofing system.
3. Roof flashing failure can be dealt with and prevented. To ensure that your roof remains free of leaks, make sure the flashing remains sturdy and intact. This is a simple enough task. You just need to schedule a comprehensive roof inspection at least twice a year – or following a major weather event. This allows your choice of roofing contractor to spot possible issues with the flashing and recommend the appropriate solution to fix them. You’ll want to be proactive about your roof repair and maintenance. Given how your roofing system is one of the biggest investments, it pays to take measures that allow you to get the most out of its life and performance.
Why You Should Work With Northeast Gutters and Remodeling
Roofing work, whether it involves flashing repair or replacement, is not something a homeowner can or should DIY. For one thing, a simple mistake can inadvertently damage your roof further, which in turn, leads to considerable expenses. Plus, the untrained homeowner is always at risk of accidents – all it takes is one small slip, and you can have a major accident. You’re better off leaving the work to a trusted professional like Northeast Gutters and Remodeling. We have the skills and experience to repair your roof in a timely and efficient manner while observing the necessary safety precautions.
But that’s not the only reason we remain the top choice for roofing in the Greater Hartford area. We are also:
- Credentialed: Northeast Gutters and Remodeling is committed to your greater protection. We have the applicable business licensing, bond and insurance, along with workers’ compensation and liability coverage. They ensure you’re covered on the off-chance something untoward occurs in your property during the work process.
- Experienced: We may have started as a gutter company in 2004, but years of experience, continuous training and acquisition of manufacturer certifications have allowed us to expand our range of services. When you turn to Northeast Gutters and Remodeling for your residential roof repair or replacement, you can count on us to deliver exceptional workmanship backed by over 15 years of experience.
- Certified: Northeast Gutters and Remodeling takes pride in the fact we are a GAF-certified roofing company. This allows you access to some of the toughest and most attractive roofing systems available today, along with the industry-leading warranty coverage included with them.
- Well-Reviewed: Few roofing companies can deliver the unmatched, personalized service that we offer. We combine tried-and-proven techniques with advanced technology to deliver more-than-satisfactory results in your roofing and exterior renovation project. Our A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau is proof of our commitment to customer-centric service. And we are always grateful for the honest and generous feedback we’ve received on Google and HomeAdvisor® from satisfied customers. They serve as our motivation to do even better in the work we do.
Northeast Gutters and Remodeling is not only your go-to company for siding installation – we are also the leading provider of high-quality residential roofing solutions in the area. Expect only a smooth and worry-free experience when you turn to us for your roofing needs. We proudly serve Simsbury, CT, and the Greater Hartford area. Call us today at (860) 899-7878, or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We’d love to hear from you!